Letting the Sunlight InsideHome furnishings and simple window treatments can transform a regular deck into a warm-weather family room. Optimize the potential of a confined patio by creating a living room that's comfortable much of the year.
In the space at right, interior decorator Susan Heller wanted a living location that likewise would work as a potting shed and mini-greenhouse. Jackson Gutter Cleaning She searched pre-owned stores, flea markets, and salvage locations to find home furnishings to create an inviting living area.
Thrift-store tables are handy for books and beverages, and a rustic table organizes houseplants. Wall-hung frosted glass vases include a refined balance to plants in baskets and pots.
To offer the porch a casual and breezy feel, large muslin squares, hemmed and hung pennant-style from bamboo rods, let light in and soften the screens. (If sun control is a problem, substitute roll-up bamboo blinds.) The bamboo rods snap into closet-rod holders connected to both sides of the deep window frame.
If you would like to create your own garden space, keep these embellishing tips, from the Better Homes and Gardens ® Garden Style book (see book summary listed below), in mind:
• Be careful not to upstage the outdoors. Windows not only allow the light, but the natural environments also. Work the surroundings into the total photo.
• Keep the enhancing easy. Seat, for instance, are natural decorating options because they are low slung and do not block the view. Revealed wood legs develop a lighter, more open look.
• Use area rugs to pull the different components of the room together.
• Select a centerpiece and decorate around it. Try grouping furnishings around a pedestal with a potted plant on top, for example.
• Use window coverings minimally to manage the inbound light however not mess the architecture. Pleated tones diffuse the light to a soft glow and stack to within 2 inches. Some tones can be operated by push-button control; there's no fret about cables and they're a fantastic option to windows in high places.
• Accessorize with things that have indicating to you.
• Add touches of greenery to warm and soften the space.
Ways to Order Yard Design
Better Homes and Gardens ® Garden Style reveals you the best ways to utilize outside and indoor areas, plants, furnishings, art, and devices to reveal garden style in any region. Within this 224-page hardcover book, more than 400 color pictures, five before-and-after transformation tasks, and 300 resources for getting ornamental furnishings, accessories, and plants throughout the country influence you to give the outdoors inside year-round.